International Encyclopedia of Uniform Insignia
jrichardn2
COMMUNICANT
COMMUNICANT

Rank badge on chest v. shoulder straps on battle dress

When and why did rank badges start appearing on the chest of battle dress instead of shoulder straps? Did is start with the U.S. forces? Canadian forces have been using it for some years, at least. Thanks! Richard Nelson /in snowy Toronto
Dorward_Bis
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

Re: Rank badge on chest v. shoulder straps on battle dress

Actually, chest rank insignia were used much earlier, before the WWII - particularly, Republican Army during the Civil War in Spain 1936-1939 used them as well as Legion Condor or Militia Requetes during same period, and some French units used chest rank insignia too.

Concerning shoulder straps: they are not very suitable for combat uniforms - weapon may clang on them, and other accessories. Besides, chest insignia are less visible than shoulder straps, so snipers have less opportunities to eliminate officers and other significant targets. And, as I know, most of armies now use chest rank insignias for their field uniforms.
aka Dorward and Dmitry Belokurov
Sitmar-orke
REDACTOR
REDACTOR

The Roman legions used already Badge for officers at the breast. In the Japanese prince armies there were marks on chest. 1826 the Ottoman army had a rank system with badge on the chest. Japan in 2.WWK also contributed chest badge.
You see Richard, chest badges have been in fashion for a long time.
jrichardn2
COMMUNICANT
COMMUNICANT

Thanks for the replies.

I wasn't asking if rank badges had ever been worn on chests, nor was I asserting that it was dumb. I was asking a question closer to our point in spacetime. :)

When and why, recently, have rank badges on American, Canadian, Australian, Pakistani, etc. battle dress moved from shoulder straps to the chest?

(I do remember seeing an Argentine Marines officer's rank badge being sewn on his battle dress's chest during the Falklands conflict.)

Dorward posits that shoulder straps get in the way. Is that the stated reason?
Sitmar-orke
REDACTOR
REDACTOR

"Dorward posits that shoulder straps get in the way. Is that the stated reason?"

That can not be the reason.There are many battle dress worn with breast badge.These have yet shoulder straps, without insignia.I think it's something to do with the visibility.By equipment worn, the rank insignia are covered.
Dorward_Bis
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

But I never insisted that the main reason of rejecting from shoulder straps was because they are some kind of an obstacle for the weapon wielding)) Just one of reasons, but not the significant one.

I know this from own experience, because when I was in the Soviet Army (many years and pounds ago), my assault rifle sling clutched at my right rigid shoulder strap quite often)) smilies-23
aka Dorward and Dmitry Belokurov
Sitmar-orke
REDACTOR
REDACTOR

Yes Dmitry.I have expressed myself wrong.There several factors play a role.
example:
When I wear my protective vest, then I take off my shoulder pieces.It's uncomfortable and cause pain.When police missions we wear jackets without shoulder badge.Reason: No visibility, uncomfortable, for safety reasons and protection from loss.Security reasons: you can stick to objects. Which then affect the movement.

Return to “GENERAL DISCUSSIONS (Rank comparison, translation issues etc)”