International Encyclopedia of Uniform Insignia
Helios88
VISITOR
VISITOR

Re: US Space Force

Maybe these will not just "hypotetical" ranks.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/18/preside ... ranch.html
jrichardn2
COMMUNICANT
COMMUNICANT

The Space Corps discussed last year was contemplated to be spun off from the Air Force, so we could imagine Air Force rank titles and insignia, possibly with an Air Force uniform but in black or midnight blue.

The new Space Force (which I'd bet will be slow-walked by the Joint Chiefs) is said to incorporate the space-related elements of the Army, Navy/Marine Corps, and Air Force, so would be a truly new service. The "easy" choice, in the U.S. tradition, would be Army rank titles and insignia for officers, with something like the Air Force for enlisted (perhaps the way Marc drew them up).

I was wondering, tho', if such a service might not go the route of the Royal Air Force, and combine the titles and insignia of the founding services. I would imagine an Air Force pattern service uniform, but in black, with the following rank titles:

O-1 - Engisn
O-2 - Lieutenant
O-3 - Captain
O-4 - Major
O-5 - Commander
O-6 - Colonel
O-7 - Commodore

The senior flag ranks are interesting. Would they go the "Army" route (Major-General etc.), the "Navy" route (Rear Admiral etc.) - or borrow from the RAF (Space Vice-Marshal etc.)?

At a guess, the enlisted ranks would probably be something like the Air Force, but the bottom 3 are a bit of a mystery. "Spaceman" and "Crewman" aren't accurate.

For the officers' rank insignia I was thinking of Navy-style (or perhaps I should say the style of the Air Force under General McPeak).
Miklós Lovász
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

SFMRAS wrote:
Miklós Lovász wrote:Well, check out this guy

https://twitter.com/SpaceCorpsUS
Lord Cybran wrote:Wow... someone not well informed could take that for real...
Account no longer active. What was on it?
Something almost like Ld Cybran's design.
Visit [url=http://www.kolozsvar.ro]my city !!![/url]
SFMRAS
COMMUNICANT
COMMUNICANT

Miklós Lovász wrote:
SFMRAS wrote:
Miklós Lovász wrote:Well, check out this guy

https://twitter.com/SpaceCorpsUS
Lord Cybran wrote:Wow... someone not well informed could take that for real...
Account no longer active. What was on it?
Something almost like Ld Cybran's design.
Thanks.
jrichardn2 wrote:The Space Corps discussed last year was contemplated to be spun off from the Air Force, so we could imagine Air Force rank titles and insignia, possibly with an Air Force uniform but in black or midnight blue.

The new Space Force (which I'd bet will be slow-walked by the Joint Chiefs) is said to incorporate the space-related elements of the Army, Navy/Marine Corps, and Air Force, so would be a truly new service. The "easy" choice, in the U.S. tradition, would be Army rank titles and insignia for officers, with something like the Air Force for enlisted (perhaps the way Marc drew them up).

I was wondering, tho', if such a service might not go the route of the Royal Air Force, and combine the titles and insignia of the founding services. I would imagine an Air Force pattern service uniform, but in black, with the following rank titles:

O-1 - Engisn
O-2 - Lieutenant
O-3 - Captain
O-4 - Major
O-5 - Commander
O-6 - Colonel
O-7 - Commodore

The senior flag ranks are interesting. Would they go the "Army" route (Major-General etc.), the "Navy" route (Rear Admiral etc.) - or borrow from the RAF (Space Vice-Marshal etc.)?

At a guess, the enlisted ranks would probably be something like the Air Force, but the bottom 3 are a bit of a mystery. "Spaceman" and "Crewman" aren't accurate.

For the officers' rank insignia I was thinking of Navy-style (or perhaps I should say the style of the Air Force under General McPeak).
It'll likely be Army/Air Force/Marines officer ranks, but using junior navy ranks and cuff insignia, then senior army ranks and insignia would be my preference for a mixed rank scheme. While I'd like for marshals to be created, I doubt it would happen. More likely, but still unlikely, we'd see cde., mgen., lgen., etc. At the very least, my mix of air and sea ranks allow the co of a ship to be called captain.
As for enlisted, I'm thinking navalized Air Force insignia. Sr. Airman (aeroman?) would use the same AF rank insignia, staff sgt. would put a chevron over that insignia. Tech. Sgt. would use the ssgt insignia and a star, or lozonge. Master Sgt. would have two devices.
SF warrant officers would use navy cuffs and army collar insignia, provided they wanted to differentiate themselves from the AF and authorize warrant officers.
jrichardn2
COMMUNICANT
COMMUNICANT

The "final" report on space capacity in the U.S. Dep't of Defense has been issued (https://media.defense.gov/2018/Aug/09/2 ... ONENTS.PDF). The way I read it, the kernel of the U.S. Space Force will be the new Space Operations Force, which will be composite (as we've discussed above)--that is, not a spin-off from the Air Force (the way the Air Force was from the Army) but a new Service, drawing personnel from the other Services: "personnel [of the Space Operations Force will] remain in the Services, until the establishment of the Space Force" (p. 10).
Lord Cybran
VISITOR
VISITOR

Now my bet is that the USSF will inherit army ranks. I made a new drawing based on that, with new insignia loosely based on the army ones.
Attachments
USSF enlisted 2nd pattern.png
Lord Cybran
VISITOR
VISITOR

And these are the rank insignia for officers. Again, I'm assuming the new USSF will inherit army rank structure, therefore I used the gold buttons used by army and added warrant officer ranks.
Attachments
USSF officer 2nd pattern.png
dcfowler
CORRESPONDENT
CORRESPONDENT

An agreement has been reached in Congress to create and fund the Space Force. A vote could occur within the next week. Once signed into law, the Department of the Air Force will establish the timetable for standing up the new service, sometime in 2020.

Return to “HYPOTHETICAL RANKS”