International Encyclopedia of Uniform Insignia
lordziba
REDACTOR
REDACTOR

Need Help with naming a unit

I am working on sci-fi RPG that involved Quebec Navy ( In this
universe its a free state), What be appropriate names for Marine
units, Nautical Commandos, and Brown Navy (Riverine Forces). And if
possible in French language for unit names.

Marine units = "troupes de la marine" or "fusiliers-marins" (if you meant something akin to the US or Royal marines) otherwise "Unités Maritimes"

Nautical Commandos = "Commandos Nautiques", "Commandos de la marine" or if you want something different, "Plongeurs tactiques" [tactical divers] or "Groupe d"Intervention Nautique" [Nautical Intervention group].

Brown Navy (Riverine Forces) = "Forces Fluviales". note that "Fluviale" is the adjective of "fleuve" (large river) wich is the term used for the Saint Lawrence river that cut through Québec.

A suggestion for other terms, if this take place in a future quebec, they would probably keep the terms used in the canadian navy (not the french navy)
lordziba
REDACTOR
REDACTOR

Thank you very much for the names, and yes it is future Quebec, they would have power armor units, Giant Robot units, and hovertanks. I might need for army names for power armor and hovertank units (which could be cavalry).

Ziba
marcpasquin
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

when you talk about army names for unists, do you mean names such as "M-26 Grizzly power armour" or that sort of thing ?
Marc Pasquin
lordziba
REDACTOR
REDACTOR

Could be, but as a rule, I basiclly refer to a history of the country if aplyed. What I ment about naming a unit, like if possible robots to be -- Les Fantasine de Robatique (spelling), or Les Units Mechanized de d'Armor, I donno, my French ( like English:) sucks. And yes, sometimes just making stuff up. Like the Champlain class carrier for Free Quebec Navy. However, this time I did not make up foundation for FQ, since it based on game called Rifts, I just "modefied" the look.

Ziba
Miklós Lovász
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

How about something like "Carabiniers Maritimes" or "Chasseurs Navales" for the Marines, "Flotille Fluviale" or "Groupement de Combat Fluviale" for the Brown Water Navy (since most of the Navy would be oceanic, I take it) and something like "Force d'Assault Amphibie" or "Groupement d'Operations Speciales" for the Commandos?
Visit [url=http://www.kolozsvar.ro]my city !!![/url]
marcpasquin
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

a units using robots could be "unités Robotisés" (based on "brigade méchanisé", mechanised brigade).

As for "power armour", the litteral translation sound weird (armure de puissance) and I don't know any original french RPG, novel or sci-fi movie that use that concept where I could check for an equivalent.

You might go with "Servo-armures" for the actual armours and "Servo-blindé" for the adjective (as in "Le 12e régiment Servo-blindé" which would be the future version of the "12e régiment blindé" ).
Marc Pasquin
lordziba
REDACTOR
REDACTOR

Brown Navy (Riverine Forces) = "Forces Fluviales". note that "Fluviale" is the adjective of "fleuve" (large river) wich is the term used for the Saint Lawrence river that cut through Québec, also could be areas of the Great Lakes. What uniforms would be there? Akin to Marine/Army, or special Naval, like Hybrid ones?
marcpasquin
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

Since you said you try to base it on existing items, I'm afraid there is nothing realy since modern day Canada does not have something akin to the US / Royal Marines.

The closest I can think of is some sea cadets and navals officers doing survival training during which they wore army combat suit with navy badges. Maybe Free Québec Marines could do something similar.
Marc Pasquin
lordziba
REDACTOR
REDACTOR

The closest I can think of is some sea cadets and navals officers doing survival training during which they wore army combat suit with navy badges. Maybe Free Québec Marines could do something similar.
REDACTOR
REDACTOR

Now, Army, and mabe the Security service

First, I am finishing FQN, the power armor units only left. Second, interesting, according to "real rifts" Free Quebec has cavalry units. Interesting, did hve an old Quebec cavalry units? And what cavalry units could be related to armor units. And third, if battle/power amor is an infantry, what about giant humanoid robots, what brunch they could be?

Thank you, any input appreciative.

Ziba.

Return to “FICTIVE RANK INSIGNIA”