International Encyclopedia of Uniform Insignia
marcpasquin
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

Confederation of Soviet Danubian States

I made the following rank insignias:

http://www.angelfire.com/freak/foti/ib/uni/csds-rank.html

for a friend who created a country (in our world, where you would have found yugoslavia a few decade ago) called the Confederation of Soviet Danubian States which there is the local equivalent of the Soviet union as the white army won the civil war and many took refuge there (this alternate russia is the one for which I created some other insignias I sent a few months ago. Though created by a another person, they are both part of the same timeline).

The idea is to have a system completely unrelated to the russian one but still appear "communistic". It take some inspiration from the 1930s soviet officers decoration (not actual rank insignias) as well as some yugoslav ones for lower ranks.

*there* it would have been introduced as a way originaly to lessen the apparent differences between the various levels (officers used to be almost exclusively noblemen). As such, they are all similar to some worn by enlisted men in other armies but worn on the lower arms, just over the cuffs.

Though it is never spelled out in any manuals, there is still a distinction between officers and enlisted men that is not very hard to spot: lower ranks use 1 colour (red or yellow) while higher-ups use both. In addition, the size of the star increase.

Before they reverted back to more traditional ones *here*, titles in the soviet union were as those I used. It was meant to take away some of the glamour by making it descriptive. Because of that, the actual title used might vary depending which service one's belonged to. This mean that "regiment commander" in the infantry would be called "district supervisor" in the administrative even though in other armies they would both be called "colonel".

- title
Leader/commander (directly in charge of soldiers)

Supervisor/director (administrative/medical/technical/etc...)

politruk/Commisar (political)

- level
Section = cell (political except for those who were attached to soldiers and used infnatry level names)

Platoon = workshop (mechanical engineer)

Company = battery (artillery)

Battalion = department (administrative)

Regiment = city (roadwork)

As for the navy, the csds would have decided to "proletarised" its rank too. Based on various system that have more descriptive sounding name, I came up with the following list (equivalent on a one-on-one basis from "section member" to "field commander"):

Seaman
Senior Seaman
Junior Chief Seaman
Chief Seaman
Senior Chief Seaman
Main Senior Chief Seaman

Elder Shipman
Senior Elder Shipman

Junior Deputy Captain
Deputy corvete Captain
Deputy frigate Captain
Deputy Vessel captain
Corvette Captain
Frigate Captain
Vessel Captain
Junior Deputy Squadron Captain
Deputy Squadron Captain
Squadron Captain
Fleet Captain

Because the titles are a mouthfull, they are shorten following a standard mean so that "field commander" would be known as (the local language equivalent of) "filcom", a platoon leader "platlead", etc....
Marc Pasquin
Erskine Calderon
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

Marc,

These are very nicely done.

Erskine

Return to “FICTIVE RANK INSIGNIA”