International Encyclopedia of Uniform Insignia
Chuck Anderson
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
Location: University Place (Pierce County,State of Washington)

Yet another usergroup!!!

Hi everyone!
It's Chuck again!!

Sometimes a good idea can have such an ungainly name. Such is the case with this next potential usergroup.
Before I give another possible usergroup name, I'd like to explain what THIS usergroup could be for.
Have you ever wondered what a difference we'd see in certain rank insignia, if only certain decisions had or had not been made? This usergroup could deal with that idea, giving examples of what might have been.
For example:
In the mid-60's, (or thereabouts), there was a plan in the works for giving the top 3 enlisted ranks of the USAF, a more distinctive look to separate them from lower enlisted ranks, (something that's already been accomplished today!)
If I can recollect, this was in an article with an illustration in the Air Force Times (a newspaper directed towards the USAF.)
The rank insignia was to consist of a USAF shield symbol (I think similar to what an air force medical, dental or nurse officer's symbol wood look like, but in their case it was worn at the pocket of their uniform.)
This was to be worn on the lower sleeve on long-sleeve uniforms and mid-sleeve on short-sleeve uniforms, (and I think there was a provision to wear it on the lapel, similar to how USN or USCG CPO's wear their insignia.)
Anyway, the insignia for MSgt. was to be a shield, for SMSgt., a shield with a five-pointed star centered on top, and for CMSgt., a shield with two five-pointed stars on top, equally spaced. There was even some talk about giving them different titles altogether (something like Supervisor or Superintendent---though they'd still be NCO's), but my memory is a little unclear on this particular part.
Now, getting back to possible usergroup names, I'm sure there are many names that this group could be titled as, but hopefully I can "start the ball rolling" with just one.
How about something like the Insignia Might Have Been Usergroup? (As I said, it's kind of an ungainly name, but there's room for lots more name ideas!)
Well, I gotta' go! See ya'!
Chuck Anderson
USAFWO1_1975@military.com

Return to “GENERAL DISCUSSIONS (Rank comparison, translation issues etc)”