International Encyclopedia of Uniform Insignia
R2X
VISITOR
VISITOR

Help constructing rank structure

I'm trying to make a rank structure for a combined service(navy, army, air force all in one).It is for a scifi story. OF10-7 are Flag officers,OF6-4 Senior and OF3-1 are Junior.
I wont it to have an International feel so I basicly modified the UK military ranks and titles.I came up with this:
Officers:
OF10Captain Marshal- combined Captain-General and Air Chief Marshal
OF9Lieutenant Marshal-Lt. General and Air Marshal
OF8Vice Marshal- dropped the Air
OF7Commandant Marshal or just Commandant-modified Colonel-Commandant with Marshal
OF6Captain-follows navy structure
OF5Colonel- dropped Lt. from Lt.Colonel
OF4Major-follows army structure
OF3Lieutenant-follows navy structure
OF2Sublieuentant/Subtenante(spanish)-can't think of anything better
OF1Ensigne-historic army rank(current US navy rank)

The problem is I don't want to reuse any ranks for senior and junior officers(like Lt. Colonel or Sub-Lieutenant)so i need a rank to replay OF2 Sublieutenant( I thought using the spanish spelling would work) any thoughts? I can't use Commander because most duty titles use it(Company Commander or Frigate Commander)
Alternatively I have:
OF10Captain Marshal
OF9Lt. Marshal
OF8Vice Marshal
OF7Commandant Marshal
OF6Captain
OF5Colonel
OF4Commandant-from the French Army
OF3Major- from naval tradition(army Captains are called Major on a Navy ship)
OF2Lieutenant
OF1Ensign

Enlisted:
E9Senior Master Sergeant
E8Master Sergeant
E7Colour Sergeant
E6Staff Sergeant
E5Sergeant
E4Corporal
E3Lance Corporal
E2Private
E1Recruit

Its harder to make military rank structure than I thought. Any suggesttions or thoughts.
I chose Marshal instead of General or Admiral because both are too army or navy ish.
"NO ONE LIVES FOREVER- NEMO VIVO SEMPITERNA"-R2X
BW
VISITOR
VISITOR

Hi R2X!

Just two thoughts to the marshal ranks:

- I think generals would be much more combined-service-like than marshals, because historical the Captain-General was the CinC of land and sea forces.

- As we all know British and Commonwealth Air Forces use marshals instead of generals. But in the complete rest of the world only very senior flag ranks are called marshal.

Something else: The reuse of any senior and junior rank could maybe be prevented by also using some roman ranks (centurio, tribun, legatus).

Greets, BW
R2X
VISITOR
VISITOR

Thanx BW
lordziba
REDACTOR
REDACTOR

Ok, been there done that: First I am adept in combine arms system.
Privates - NCO's: E-1 -Trooper, E-2-Able Trooper, E-3-Junior Nonecomm, E-4-Nonecomm, E-5-Senior Noncomm, E-6- Regimental Noncomm, and E-7-Noncomm Major.

Field Officers: O-1- Subaltern, O-2-Lieutenant, O-3- Lieuenant-Commandant (cant make captain--confusion), O-4-Commandant, O-5- Staff Commandant, O-6-Colonel/Captain.

Flag Officers: O-7- Junior Group Commander, O-8-Group Commander, O-9-Theater Commander, O-10-Force Commander, O-11-Commander-in-Chief.

As can you see, no Marshals or Generals, these ranks are obscure enough to be used for any service!

Byes, Zibster, General-Fieldmarshal of Maorian Empire, and humble Regimental Colonel (Honorific), Tikonov Guards, Estandart-Colonel of the Royal Praetorian Guard.
R2X
VISITOR
VISITOR

Subaltern?
I like that.

Is subalter a rank in a military or titile?
Or is it another langage for Sublieutenant or some other rank?

Thanx lordziba

do you come up with alot of ranks? By the way if you do or know any sites or posts with good one please post it for me THANX
lordziba
REDACTOR
REDACTOR

No, I do not know any sites, since, I guess before me nobody tried to look into these problems. For instance, I came out with my unique system regarding GENERIC marine corps. Where instead of normal ranks of Captain and General ranks somwhat modified not to make confusion with army and navy.

Just sample marine officers ranks: O.-1. Subaltern* O.-2. Cornet ** O.-3. Cornet-Commandant *** O.-4. Commandant ****O.-5. Staff Commandant O.-6. Colonel ****** O.-7. Lieutenant-Brigadier
O.-8. Brigadier O.-9. Brigadier-Major O.-9. Brigadier General
O.-10. General Commandant of Marine Corps.

I am especially intersted in sci-fi uniforms and insignias. I looked into Mercenaries/Merchant Armies, Household Armies, Militant Religeus Orders, various space fleets based on Roman, German, Austrian/Hungerian, French, Russian, Ukranian, Itallian and Spanish. So, go ahead, ask.

*Subaltern -- as far as I know (you see English is not my native tongue) came from contraction of Sub. And means ussualy ether 3rd. or 2nd. Lietenant. This ranks ussualy given to a graduated cadets to prove in position of 2nd. Lieutenant, or in time of war some high ranking nonecomme field promoted to subaltern as temporary comission. **Cornet -- old GBR cavalry rank, but since marine duty sort of akin shore or air cavalry. ***Cornet-Commandant -- fancy for captain, since ship can have only one captain, for instace as soon as USMC Captain aboard of the ship, he automatcly referred as major. ****Commandant - fancy for major akin to French and Belgium army or Some English speaking Police, though could mean a commander as well. ******Colonel -- due to GBR -- "Colonel of the Sea."

Grand Duke Zibster, House Maor, Great Maorian Empire of Stars.

Return to “FICTIVE RANK INSIGNIA”