International Encyclopedia of Uniform Insignia
general_tiu
COMMUNICANT
COMMUNICANT

Domination of the Draka rank insignia

Would anyone help me craft rank insignias for the Domination of the Draka series by S.M. Stirling? I had already ideas for rankings, but not insignia.
Nila MadhaVa
VISITOR
VISITOR

so far as i can tell this is the structure of the draka citizen forces, as opposed to their jannisary-slave army which is officered by draka citizens. i believe janissaries have traditional ranks from private to master sergeant, which is the highest rank they can attain.

Monitor (fire-team leader/Cpl) commanding a Stick of 4
Decurion (Sergeant) commanding a Lochos (Squad) of 8
Tetrarch (Lieutenant) commanding a Tetrarchy (Platoon) of 33
Centurion (Captain) commanding a Century (Company) of 110
Cohortarch (Major) commanding a Cohort (Battalion) of 500
Merarch (Colonel) commanding a Merarchy (Regiment) of 1,500
Chiliarch (Brigadier General) commanding a Chiliarchy (Brigade) of 4,500
Strategos (Lieutenant General) commanding a Legion (Division) of 13,000

At higher levels (e.g., Army Corps), formal rank designation would be "Arch-Strategos"—roughly, Senior General—with a functional qualifier to designate role. Note that each grade would contain junior/senior levels, and also that the Draka concept of rank is rather flexible—ad hoc units under relatively junior commanders can be patched together at need.

however i have been able to find no references to what the insignia might look like.
We cannot choose the hour of our death. But we can choose what to do with the time we are given.
Nila MadhaVa
VISITOR
VISITOR

ive been thinking...as the domination was a former british colony, perhaps the insignia would be based on british ones...maybe with the draka emblom instead of crowns? the draka emblom is a red dragon with wings outstretched, holding a machete and manicles, with i belive, a golden sun on a blue cross that looks like an ironcross all on a black shield on the gragons chest.

here is a link, though the dragon isnt red...so im not 100% sure if its meant to be...its been a while since i read the books

http://members.fortunecity.com/centurion2001/images/draka.gif !!i think you will have to copy/paste that link for it to work!!

maybe one of you who are good at this sort of thing could try making some insignia.
We cannot choose the hour of our death. But we can choose what to do with the time we are given.
general_tiu
COMMUNICANT
COMMUNICANT

Here's my take on the Draka's rank insignia:

[img]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4041/4652615535_3efb3b7efe_b.jpg[/img]

Forgot, I think I credit the Draka series to S.M. Stirling, just to make sure he wouldn't sue me.

Return to “FICTIVE RANK INSIGNIA”