International Encyclopedia of Uniform Insignia
Medic_in_Uniform
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

It should be there now! smilies-01
melonhead82
VISITOR
VISITOR

The galactic rank insignias that look like the Royal Navy's are sayin they belong to the British Galactic Empire.
Medic_in_Uniform
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

Nope, go back and re-read that post: they're specifically inspired by the United Nations Naval Service in Feintuch's "Seafort Saga"
melonhead82
VISITOR
VISITOR

I know, i'm just saying what it looks like to me.
general_tiu
COMMUNICANT
COMMUNICANT

Hmm...it seems that,at this time of writing, only the Russians had the real thing close enough to a "Space Force" and uses Army Ranks.

Now, would a compromise between ground and naval ranks would do in the US Space Force? smilies-09

And I've been cooking up some British Royal Space Force rank insignia. Shamelessly copied from the RN's former women's service.

If only my scanner is working.
melonhead82
VISITOR
VISITOR

The RSF (Royal Space Force) Ranks should use the ranks of the Royal Navy, because technically space forces are really navies anyway.
general_tiu
COMMUNICANT
COMMUNICANT

But we don't know if Space Forces would evolve into a navy-based force or an AF-based one.

Possibly, it could get some ideas on how the RAF get their own ranks.
Medic_in_Uniform
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

melonhead82 wrote:The RSF (Royal Space Force) Ranks should use the ranks of the Royal Navy, because technically space forces are really navies anyway.
That was part of the debate back at the top of the thread - and it's not as straightforward as you might think.
melonhead82
VISITOR
VISITOR

Yeah, i can see where your coming from. Right we sort of know about the ranks for the space forces so any ideas for the space ship desgins? smilies-01
lordziba
REDACTOR
REDACTOR

Let me kind of threw new idea: did anybody thought that in a future, some interstellar states could not simply afford separate army and navy (Space Force)? I mean there going to a generic "force" which just simply divides into sub-branches. Then there is a question, what about uniforms, ranks and etc?

Zibster!
Medic_in_Uniform
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

Hi Zib - yeah, that's been talked about somewhere too, I'm sure.

Surely a truly generic single-service would likely have generic uniforms and a generic system of grades and insignia...? There may be different branch insignia or maybe branch colors (or possibly both) but generic implies a level of cross-service standardization?

smilies-02
MikeBeehan
VISITOR
VISITOR

Re: Hypothetical Space Force Ranks

love your work medic
Lord Cybran
VISITOR
VISITOR

Re: Hypothetical Space Force Ranks

Hello,

A long time ago, I drew a set of insignia for a Space Fleet, which titles were naval-based because, if you think about it, we've been calling spacecraft "ships" since the beginning of the Space Age.

Shoulder badges for enlisted members:
Space Fleet enlisted shoulder insignia.jpg
Shoulder badges for officers:
Space Fleet officer shoulder insignia.jpg
Sleeve rings for officers:
Space Fleet sleeve insignia.jpg

Return to “HYPOTHETICAL RANKS”