International Encyclopedia of Uniform Insignia
Herrwiggly
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

American Insignia

Hi everybody, can anyone explain the significance of the American insignia on the left side of the sections? For example, a Colonel without embellishment, Colonel with green bar underneath, with red bar or a green dot.
What does it mean?
Cheers
SFMRAS
COMMUNICANT
COMMUNICANT

Re: American Insignia

Herrwiggly wrote:Hi everybody, can anyone explain the significance of the American insignia on the left side of the sections? For example, a Colonel without embellishment, Colonel with green bar underneath, with red bar or a green dot.
What does it mean?
Cheers
The only thing I'm familiar with is the 'combat' leader badge, which this:
http://www.armystudyguide.com/content/army_board_study_guide_topics/uniforms/leaders-identification-in.shtml
calls the leader identification insignia.
There's an orange Signal Corps tab, according to ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-KOREA-TO-NAM-SIGNAL-CORPS-COMBAT-LEADER-ORANGE-FELT-TAB-SNAP-ON-STYLE-/190579889109
Presumably, the red one is for (field) artillery.
Medic_in_Uniform
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

Re: American Insignia

I'm guessing you mean the topic markers on the left hand side of the index pages for the various sections of the forum?

Pavel can probably give you the definitive answer as to exactly what they all are but take a quick look and you'll notice that the top-level index differentiates threads with new posts using the US oak leaves for Major / Lieut. Colonel. The subsections use green and red bars to indicate things like new posts and active threads. Most forums have something like this; these are just what they've opted to use here.

I never really bother looking at them -- whenever I have a quick look at the forum, I usually I just click on the links on the right to check for new posts, active topics or unanswered posts.

It's just easier!
smilies-15

Return to “GENERAL DISCUSSIONS (Rank comparison, translation issues etc)”