International Encyclopedia of Uniform Insignia
SFMRAS
COMMUNICANT
COMMUNICANT

Austrian Knot, Rhyme or Reason?

Hello! Long time Lurker, first time poster.
I'm wondering if there are specific (historic) patterns of Austrian Knots for the various branches of the various militaries?
I've seen what appears to be some similarities between regiments of various branches (say, 17th, 18th, and 19th cavalry regiments, or the 4th and 5th infantry regiments)in various countries, and I noticed the US Army had separate designs for Officers and General officers, and the UK at the time of the Boer War had at least two different types for their officers, and was wondering if, by chance, there's a site or sites, or a book or two detailing the various differences.
I don't mind the time frame, and any little bit helps, since I'm writing a story and wanted something other then pins or colors do denote branch.
I'm tired, so sorry about the rambling.
60bill
CORRESPONDENT
CORRESPONDENT

Re: Austrian Knot, Rhyme or Reason?

If you just want a few examples from each period there's numerous examples to find via google.
If for some reason this is not an option, then send me your email address via a PM and I will try and help with a few scans.
DON'T post your email address on the main forum unless you wish to have your inbox overflowing with spam...
Regards
WF
Fear is the best weapon
SFMRAS
COMMUNICANT
COMMUNICANT

60bill wrote:If you just want a few examples from each period there's numerous examples to find via google.
If for some reason this is not an option, then send me your email address via a PM and I will try and help with a few scans.
DON'T post your email address on the main forum unless you wish to have your inbox overflowing with spam...
Regards
WF
Thank you for the offer. I've gleamed over 250 images off of google, and have gotten some inkling of a pattern, but it seems like when I've hammered down a scheme I find an image that throws a wrench into the works. I may have to take you up on your offer, so thanks again, but I'll have to find the time.
60bill
CORRESPONDENT
CORRESPONDENT

I'm afraid that when it comes to the Austrian knot there are a vast number of variations on the basic knot.
Some are connected to grade or rank while many are purely for decoration, cavalry for example.
For the British army the 1900 illustrated dress regulations could be helpful.
Fear is the best weapon
SFMRAS
COMMUNICANT
COMMUNICANT

60bill wrote:I'm afraid that when it comes to the Austrian knot there are a vast number of variations on the basic knot.
Some are connected to grade or rank while many are purely for decoration, cavalry for example.
For the British army the 1900 illustrated dress regulations could be helpful.
Thank you, I'll google them now.
60bill
CORRESPONDENT
CORRESPONDENT

If you don't find a copy of the 1900 Dress Regulations let me know!
Also there are dress regulations in pdf format available for the US Marines.
If you haven't already try: [url]http://avaxhome.ws/ebooks[/url]
Regards
WF
Fear is the best weapon
SFMRAS
COMMUNICANT
COMMUNICANT

60bill wrote:If you don't find a copy of the 1900 Dress Regulations let me know!
Also there are dress regulations in pdf format available for the US Marines.
If you haven't already try: [url]http://avaxhome.ws/ebooks[/url]
Regards
WF
Thanks. Perusing now.

Return to “GENERAL DISCUSSIONS (Rank comparison, translation issues etc)”