International Encyclopedia of Uniform Insignia
boricua

Field Marshals, Captains General and Generals of the Army

Are field marshals, captains general and generals of the army appointed only in time of war, when the number of troops in the field is so large that it is necessary to have a top general in charge of all generals in service? smilies-05
60bill
CORRESPONDENT
CORRESPONDENT

Re: Field Marshals, Captains General and Generals of the Arm

Depends on the date.
In the British army the rank of Field Marshal used to depend, in theory, on the choice of the Sovereign regardless of service.
I believe towards the end of the Victorian period the number of Field Marshals was around six.
Today Prince Charles and the Duke of Kent hold the rank [honorary] along with around four others who have earned it still above ground,
Fear is the best weapon
Chuck Anderson
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
Location: University Place (Pierce County,State of Washington)

I think that currently in post-Mubarak Egypt, there is an officer holding the rank of Field Marshal, who is currently on active duty as well as being head of state (for the time being.)

Chuck Anderson
cbakiteskites@yahoo.com
I'm NOT a Civilian.....I'm A VETERAN!!!!
(USAF Veteran)
jrichardn2
COMMUNICANT
COMMUNICANT

And the Queen has just appointed two men honorary Field Marshals: her son The Prince of Wales and the retired Chief of Defence Staff, Charles Guthrie.

http://www.royal.gov.uk/LatestNewsandDiary/Pressreleases/2012/HonoraryFiveStarRankappointment16June2012.aspx

(The Prince was also created an Admiral of the Fleet and a Marshal of the Royal Air Force; not, interestingly, Captain General of Royal Marines.)

Note that throughout the press release they're described not as "OF10" or some other way, but as "Five Star Rank".
60bill
CORRESPONDENT
CORRESPONDENT

I believe the Duke of Edinburgh holds the Captain General position.
Fear is the best weapon
DarthGaddafi
COMMUNICANT
COMMUNICANT

I had a tough time deciding where to post this, but this topic thread seems to fit for now.

Egyptian Armed Forces Chief Abdul Fattah Al-Sisi has been promoted to Field Marshal...and he has never served in combat (political combat does not count).
Attachments
Field Marshal 2014
Field Marshal 2014
DarthGaddafi
COMMUNICANT
COMMUNICANT

I do not think Mushir Sisi will stay in the military long. Civilian suits are in his future so this could be the last Egyptian field marshal for a while.
Attachments
Egyptian Army Ranks
Egyptian Army Ranks
DarthGaddafi
COMMUNICANT
COMMUNICANT

Here is another picture of the newly promoted Abdel Fattah Al-Sisi in the less formal everyday (winter) uniform. Largely the same as the formal portrait uniform, but lacking the gold border around the epaulets.
Attachments
FMsisi.jpg

Return to “GENERAL DISCUSSIONS (Rank comparison, translation issues etc)”